Skip to the main content.

Post-Divorce Services

When life looks different now than it did when you finalized your Divorce Agreement, you may be entitled to modify or enforce those terms through our post-judgment services.


CALL US TODAY: 800-709-1131

Post-Divorce Legal Services in New Jersey


When a Divorce is finalized between 2 people, each of you ultimately agree to certain conditions which are enforced anywhere from several years to sometimes decades. However, sometimes changes occur and unforeseen circumstances arise. Sometimes we can resolve these issues in mediation, but others necessitate legal actions in court in front of a judge.

For example, if your former spouse is failing to abide by the terms of your divorce agreement, you may be able to hire an attorney to enforce that agreement. 

Instead, perhaps changes have taken place in your own life or your former spouse's life that necessitate a modification to the terms of your agreement. Agreements might be changed in some of the following ways:

  • Amounts paid or received in Alimony
  • Time spent with Children
  • Child Support Agreements
  • Custody Agreements

If none of these apply to you in your unique circumstances, other changes might be able to be enforced depending on the situation. For example, maybe you and your ex-wife or ex-husband decided you could come to an agreement on something later on and thus held off on finalizing a certain term in your Agreement, or maybe the two of you raced to finish the Agreement to bring a speedy end to your relationship and accidentally overlooked something important, like who pays for your children's college education, or which parent is responsible for buying your child a car or establishing an investment account for him or her. 

While it may seem stressful to consult an attorney again following your divorce proceedings, we understand that life can take us in a variety of directions, so if your personal situation is different than it used to be when you made that agreement -- or if your former spouse's life has taken a turn -- then it would be wise to discuss the possibility of modifying or enforcing the terms of your agreement with a qualified divorce attorney. 

Rest assured, changes or enforcement actions related to your Divorce Agreement are usually easier and more expedient than your original Divorce process with the assistance and guidance of an experienced divorce attorney.

Enforcing your Original Agreement


When your former spouse violates your Divorce Agreement

An enforcement action is recommended in the following situations:

  • Failure to pay any amounts required by the Agreement in the timeframe in which they are required
  • Failure to abide by any material term of the Agreement, including any terms related to Child Custody, Parenting Time, etc.
  • Failure to provide Alimony or Child Support
  • Failure to provide insurance benefits or coverage as required in the Agreement
  • To enforce any specific benefit outlined in the Agreement
  • Any other terms you've relied upon in your initial Agreement


Post-Divorce Estate Planning Considerations


Why updating your Estate Plan matters...

Following a Divorce, your Estate Plan should be updated to reflect the changes in your life. Failing to create a new Last Will & Testament may result in distributions of your estate in whole or in part to your former spouse, which could be against your wishes and interests and may cause strife and discord among your children and loved ones. We recommend contacting us to draft and finalize a new Estate Plan that reflects your current situation. This is especially important if you own property or an automobile, have any investments in the market, carry a balance in your bank account, possess any business interest, or maintain a retirement account of any kind.



If you're seeking a modification to your Agreement or if your ex refuses to follow the requirements of your current agreement, give us a call or fill out this form and we'll discuss how we can help.

New Jersey Family Courts we appear in regularly:

Bergen County 
Justice Center, Room 119
10 Main Street
Hackensack, NJ 07601
(201) 527-2300


Essex County 
Family Division Dissolution Unit
Wilentz Justice Complex, Room 113
212 Washington Street
Newark, NJ 07102
(973) 693-6710


Family Division Non-Dissolution Unit
Wilentz Justice Complex, Room 1365
212 Washington Street
Newark, NJ 07012
(973) 693-5560 or (973) 693-5520


Hudson County
Family Intake Team
Administration Bldg., Room 203
595 Newark Avenue
Jersey City, NJ 07306
(201) 795-6777


Hunterdon County 
Family Case Management Office
Hunterdon County Justice Center
65 Park Avenue
Flemington, NJ 08822
(908) 237-5920


Mercer County
Family Case Management Office
175 S. Broad St., 2nd Floor
P.O. Box 8068
Trenton, NJ 08650-0068
(609) 571-4200


Middlesex County
Family Part Intake Reception Team
Family Courthouse
120 New St., Room 111
P.O. Box 2691
New Brunswick, NJ 08903-2691
(732) 519-3242

Monmouth County
Family Part, Courthouse
71 Monument Park
P.O. Box 1252
Freehold, NJ 07728-1252
(732) 677-4050


Morris County
Morris County Family Division
Morris County Courthouse Family Intake
Washington and Court Streets
P.O. Box 910
Morristown, NJ 07963
(973) 656-4000


Somerset County
Family Case Management Office
Courthouse, 2nd Floor
P.O. Box 3000
Somerville, NJ 08876-1262
(908) 231-7600


Sussex County
Sussex County Family Division
Sussex County Judicial Center
43-47 High Street
Newton, NJ 07860
(973) 579-0630


Union County
Dissolution Assignment Office
New Annex Bldg.; Courthouse
2 Broad Street
Elizabeth, NJ 07207
(908) 659-3314


Warren County
Family Division Dissolution Unit
413 Second St.;
P.O. Box 900
Belvidere, NJ 07823-1500
(908) 475-6150